Ranger/Information Officer (PART-TIME)
To patrol, protect and supervise the entire Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary to monitor the state of the marine ecosystems and to protect manatee and habitat integrity according to sanctuary management principles and regulations. Ranger/Information Officer patrols the Sanctuary and makes sure that visitors are informed, are following the rules and are involved in data collection and monitoring activities to protect and not disrupt the natural environment or fellow guests.
SUMMARY OF MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: As a ranger/information officer you will need to:
• Patrol, protect and supervise Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary; Patrol the protected area boundaries and interior to Fisheries and Forestry Officer level of authority
• Select, manage and source information resources about Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary – both hard copy and electronic; use the Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool (SMART) and other computer applications, for easy access and retrieval;
• Create and search databases of natural environment, stakeholder and visitor use of Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary;
• Report Routinely to FOSC management, prepare weekly reports for submission to management on all sanctuary activities both legal and illegal including among others, patrols, visitation, poaching, and interventions on illegal activities; provide weekly tally of sales collections;
• Run effective enquiry and current awareness or ‘alerting’ services and develop communications strategies; Staff the Field Station at SCWS as Information Centre/sales outlet and provide SCWS and manatee information to the visiting public;
• Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks ranging from managing the Sanctuary to routine upkeep of the boat and engine and satisfactory stakeholder/visitor/client interaction;
1. Literacy and fluency in the English language is mandatory. Fluency in a second language – would be an asset.
2. Sixth Form Degree or higher in Natural Resources Management, Marine Biology or field related to Marine Protected Areas Management.
3. Experience in marine protected areas management and/or tourism entrepreneurship would be an asset.
4. Required – Valid Tour Guide license, valid Captain License;
5. Valid Fisheries/Forest Officer or Special Constable status would be an asset;
6. Physically fit, strong communication skills, strong swimmer, competent boat handler and able to read Belizean waters.
All applicants should submit their CV, cover letter, two (2) references no later than 14 June 2018.
TO: President, Friends of Swallow Caye
Beach, Corner Avenida Hicaco & Lind’s Cocal
Download file below